Carpentry workshop is developed by Auroville Consulting by partnering with Woodwork, a carpentry unit in Auroville. During the 3-day event the participants will get introduced to the basic methods and techniques such as woodcarving and wood-turning. You will also be introduced to interesting concepts like tensegrity and joinery. The wood that is being used in this workshop is waste wood collected from the trees that fell during the cyclone Thane in 2011. The program will be facilitated by Walter Van Asshe, a wood smith and a master carpenter by profession.
You will be learning:
- Basic concepts in carpentry
- Usage of basic carpentry tools
- Utilizing classic set of techniques such as constructing joints, dovetails and simple frames
- How to use waste wood efficiently
- Learn the joy of woodwork from an experienced and practicing professional.
- Work and stay in the beautiful, quiet world of Auroville.
- Skills learned here can then be used to build further projects at home such as bookcases, cupboards or tables.
- Learn how to up-cycle wood.
- Receive a participation certificate.
Expected participants are professionals, students, and beginners looking to get an introduction into carpentry and woodwork.
A group of 6 or more participants may choose a date as per their own convenience, informing us at least a week in advance.
All workshops and events hosted by Auroville Green Practices will follow Tamil Nadu COVID-19 protocols and relevant SOPs.
- All participants’ temperatures will be monitored.
- Face masks shall be worn at all times.
- Social distancing shall be respected.
- AGP may require proof of a recent negative COVID-19 PCR test for program admission.
- The internal Auroville guidelines are subject to change at Auroville’s discretion.