The CSEB Production course covers theory and practice of Compressed Stabilised Earth Blocks (CSEB), including basics on soil characteristics, design, calculation, block production, quality control, etc.
The two first days are more theoretical with lectures, presentations and individual exercises:
– Auroville Earth Institute presentation
– Building with earth in Auroville
– Sustainability and environmental friendliness
– Resource management
– Basic data on CSEB
– Raw material and soil identification
– Soil stabilisation (Stabilisers, Principles, Calculation and exercises)
– Products & equipment
– Blockyard organisation & Production line
– Quality control principles
– Improving and stabilising soils
– Mortar quality
– Block-laying & design guidelines
– Cost analysis & Economic feasibility study
The four following days are practical in nature, with demonstrations and hands-on sessions:
– Handling, adjustment and maintenance of the presses
– Safety demonstration
– Testing typical soils with a press
– Sites visit by trainees
– Production of blocks: acquisition of know-how
– Production of various blocks (round, interlocking, hollow, etc.)
– Production of special blocks (U, pipe inserts, chamfer, flashing, coping, tile, etc.)
– Production of blocks: optimisation of production = 100 Blocks per hour
– Quality control with the field block tester
Identification of typical soils with sensitive analysis is taught at the end of each day. Through practice, trainees will feel more and more confident to carry out soil analysis independently.
All skill levels are welcome (e.g. engineers, architects, technicians, supervisors, masons, students and laymen).
Six day course; Classes from 9:00am to 4:30pm.
- All classes are held in English.
- Manuals and other training materials are distributed to students.
- A certificate is given at the end of the course.
- For more details, please visit the Auroville Earth Institute website or contact us.