Like a sensual sonata, a meaningful poem, or an expressive painting, superb architecture communicates abstract meanings and provokes deep feelings, discovering and transcending souls.
When totally immersed in the architectural spacial experience, our senses continuously—consciously and unconsciously—receive and translate phenomena like a hot ray of the sun penetrating through a dark cold roof, textures of an old rustic stone floor, the irregular rhythm of openings on a solid wall, relaxing sounds of trickling drops of water, blurry shades of trees seen through frosted glass, the vivid color and lush smell of a flowery courtyard, or the cooling breath of an air draft in a narrow corridor. An intelligent and sensitive composition of such stimuli can express pride, creativity, strength, efficiency or elegance, or make us feel hopeful, safe, excited, nostalgic or serene.
This architectural design workshop will focus on the sensorial phenomenological aspects of architecture. In a design studio environment, students will define suitable meanings and feelings to express, then undergo the challenge of crafting and composing architectural spaces with unique ambiances—atmospheres that reflect apparent and subtle characteristics of its environment and function, expressing the defined meanings and feelings— through a sensitive understanding and the use of elements like solid & void, scale & proportion, rhythm, color, light, sound, and air.
The studio work will consist of these components:
- Theoretical Discussions: Through lectures and discussions, selected examples of expressive spatial experiences—from the primordial to the modern—will be first sensed, then analyzed, discussed, and critically examined.
- Site Experience: On site, participants will observe, analyze, and reflect on the elements and characteristics defining the site’s personality to conceptualize initial abstract ideas and feelings through drawing, painting, and/or writing.
- Experimental Design: In the studio, students will experience the challenging process of transforming and evolving such initial thoughts, objectives, and feelings into expressive architecture.
- Field Trips: While visiting major selected architecture in Auroville, we will refine our senses while experiencing complexities of different interacting elements; ex. light with texture, rhythm with proportion, or air with sound.
- Mock-ups: When the design concept demands, eager students will be encouraged to innovate architectural components and details experimenting with constructional materials, and sometimes in 1:1 scale.
The workshop is open to everyone regardless of their proficiency in the field of architecture. Beginners and professionals will equally find value in attending the workshop!
Visit the Facebook page for updates and more information about the workshop: https://www.facebook.com/experiencing.architecture/