The life of urban trees is not all corporate offices and skyline views: it’s actually a lot of stress and struggle!
Auroville Green Practices and Auroville’s TreeCare offer you a 4 -module course on Urban Forestry, designed to not only to give you an insight into the biology, relevance, and struggle of urban trees, but to equip you with knowledge in order to incorporate the health and wellbeing of trees into urban landscapes.
This course will give you a basic understanding of trees, their needs, how they grow and react in urban environments, as well as the difficulties trees face when their needs are not met and the unintentional damage caused by our lack of knowledge. We highlight the steps and methods you can take to integrate trees into your next development project or future city infrastructure: An informed outlook can minimize long term issues and avoid unnecessary costs and tree catastrophes!
Finally, we will explore the issues of proper after care, to ensure your trees have everything they need to grow into strong and healthy specimens. It’s never too late to learn more about trees and their needs, it turns out that we need them more than they need us!
What can you expect from this course?
Module 1 (14th June @ 3:30 PM IST
This first module covers Tree Biology:
- Introduction to trees – tree biology, symbiotic relationships, and an introduction to Urban Forestry.
- What is a tree, how it grows, what is an arborist and why hire one, the difference between urban forestry and forestry
- Safety and tree health.
- How to differentiate between landscaper, botanist, arborist, and forester.
- Course overview and introduction to module 2.
Module 2 (21th June @ 3:30 PM IST)
The second modules dives into urban forestry:
- The importance of trees and their value,
- Tree study, tourism, mental health, and wildlife.
- Detailed view of urban forestry, covering the environmental, social and economical benefits of trees in cities.
- Choosing the right trees for different locations and how to incorporate them into the plan.
- Detailed method for pre-development planning with the benefits outlined.
- Proper post-development care
- Maintenance strategies
- Risk assessment and mitigation.
Module 3 (28th June @ 3:30 PM IST)
The third modules covers:
- Detailed pre-development planning
- Technical tree mapping
- Site planning
- Root protection
- Calculation of the monetary value of a tree, along with different methods for different purposes, and the CFT vs living value.
Module 4: (5th July @ 3:30 PM IST)
The fourth and last module looks at:
- Post development, maintenance and risk mitigation
- Tree risk assessment
- How and when to prune
Who can join the webinar?
Anyone! But of particular interest to architect students, sustainability enthusiasts, changemakers with a passion for addressing sustainability issues pertaining to their local areas, students in environmental disciplines, engineering, and town planners.
If you sign up for the entire course you will receive a certificate of completion from TreeCare Auroville and be equipped with the knowledge you need to join a physical workshop upon your next visit to Auroville (with a 10% discount!) as well as have basic knowledge of tree care and urban planning around trees.
Check out a TEDx by one of the founders of Treecare to get a glimpse of the material: https://youtu.be/uYiOKPKlTZk
And more info on: http://treecareindia.com/